Monday, August 8, 2011

Granola


There are very few things in life I know for sure.  I do know that I make the world's best granola!  Ask anyone who has had it and they will most likely agree!


It has been a challenge of mine and my family to find a granola to buy that the taste compares.  Just as a sport!  We find that most of them are very oily tasting, not crunchy, old tasting or in general just bland.


So, a couple of years ago I decided to test market my granola and sell to family and friends.  I priced it out and began to take orders.  I charged just enough to cover the cost of my goods.  Well, my accounting skills were not so good as I found out and I was actually loosing money.  Oh well.  It was a fun journey and one that ultimately led me to enroll in culinary school where I took a purchasing class and now can price correctly!  Thank you Mr. Wilson!


When you have kids home from college and they are asking you to make it for them before they go back you know you have a winner.  So, I am sharing my "secret" recipe with you that I found back in 1991 and have been making since.  I have made some changes to it along the way.   We serve it with Dannon Vanilla Yogurt and Dried Cherries.  Tell me it's not the best!







Crunchy Granola
  
3 ½ cups oats, uncooked (not instant)
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup wheat germ
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup sunflower kernels

½ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat Oven to 325 degrees F

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well, and set aside.

Combine honey, brown sugar, and oil in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and mixture is thoroughly heated.  Remove from heat; add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until peanut butter melts.  Pour honey mixture over oats mixture; stir well.  (Mixture will be dry at first; continue stirring until moist.)

Pour mixture into a greased 15-X10-X1 inch jellyroll pan.  Press mixture flat with the back of a wide metal spatula.  Bake at 325 degree F for 30 minutes (pan may need to be turned during cooking) or until golden brown.  Pour out onto parchment paper to cool

To Store:  Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
Enjoy!!!!!

Recipe adapted from The Southern Living Complete Do Ahead Cookbook from Today’s Gourmet series
Oxmoor House, Inc.
1991

No comments:

Post a Comment